YOU WON’T FIND A PLACE OF REST IN YOUR EMOTIONS
How did you wake up this morning? Moody? Feeling sad, angry and disturbed?
Yep, I know this. I know how you feel. And you know the worse? If you are in the midst of a trial as I am, you probably will still feel this way for quite a long time… actually, fact is: you will feel this way for quite a LIFE time!
“Wwwwwwwhat?! Did I read properly?” you might think…
Hear me now; what I am saying is not that you will feel emotionally disturbed because of your actual trial your whole life. What I am saying is that on a life time, we can’t escape trials and storms and so, you and I will surely continue to feel up and down in our inner being as we continue to walk on the path of life, confronting all the events that cross our way.
“Bad news” you will tell me. Yes it sounds like it. But the problem is that doesn’t matter how you take this information I just gave you, it is simply what it is and it will continue to be this way as long as we live in this fallen world. Trials will continue to cross our way and our emotions and feelings will continue to wave.
Ok, so let us summarize what I just said: we go through a storm; we feel like it is the end of our world; our emotions and feelings start to shake and soon enough we end up totally submerged by something that seems uncontrollable!!!
Does it seem familiar to you?
Well I can tell you girls that you are DEFINITELY NOT the only one in this situation!
So far, regarding my story; in less than a year I went through:
- a cancelled wedding (3 weeks before the big day…true story unfortunately)
- a break up that followed the same day
- eating disorder that followed and made me lose 16 pounds in less than 3 weeks (thanks God, I started CrossFit, started to eat again and gained 11 pounds of muscles)
- a therapy that has helped me to be set free from A LOOOOOT of issues (with God’s help of course), but the beginning brought me to one of the darkest place on earth. Yep…when you discover that the way you react for 30 years is not normal and you need to learn to act in the right way, trust me it brings you upside down!
- a desire to heal, a desire of peace and to forgive when I have been so broken; this is a challenge of every day
All those points brought a lot of ups & downs and my emotions feel like the roller coaster is their new way of transport now for almost a year. So again girls, I know how it feels like. I have been there and some days, I still feel like it.
And so, is this it? Do I mean that we have to go this way for our entire life and just to accept our uncontrollable emotions as being “the only” solution?
Oh well NOOOO! Girls, I am here to tell you that there is another solution 🙂 Woop woop!
In my ups & downs and the tornado that my heart had to endure, I also found the perfect resting place: the arms of Jesus Christ.
Now, telling you this sounds really simple. You might think “Ok, cool. Sounds like a good news. But concretely what does it look like?”
Yes, I admit, if you are like me and you never really felt God’s presence (though you love Him with all your heart) it is quite difficult to see it this way. But believe or not, it is in the midst of my trauma that I developed a greater relationship with Jesus and this helped me to feel his presence more.
Reading His Word and accepting it finally as the Truth helped me to understand who God is: He is not against us; He is not making us suffering and when He allows suffering to hit us, it is ALWAYS for a purpose.
Now that I understood His Word as being simply the Truth, it has been easier for me to move on by faith and to believe that THERE IS MORE.
I told you earlier about feelings and emotions. And I told you that if we are not careful, we easily let them control our days. And if you don’t want that to happen, you will need to lean on the Truth of Jesus.
The Word says that God’s truth is unchanging and He can’t lie.
As God’s truth never changed since the beginning and He can’t lie, let’s look closer at what He says about our heart; home of our emotions and feelings:
“He who trusts in his own heart is a fool” (Proverbs 28:26)
“The heart is deceitful above all things (Jeremiah 17:9)
So, by definition, we can’t trust our emotions and feelings and so, we shouldn’t let ourselves be driven by them.
But then, who are we going to trust and follow?
Girls, the solution is Jesus Christ. For He says in His Word:
- Cast your burden on the Lord, and he will sustain you; he will never permit the righteous to be moved. 55:22
- The righteous cry out, and the LORD hears them;he delivers them from all their troubles. 34:17
- Casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you. 1 Pet. 5:7
Do you understand here what Jesus asks us? He doesn’t ask us to run away with our feelings, but to cast them on Him so that we can turn away from them and be free.
Jesus also says in His Word:
- The Lord is nearto the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit. 34:18
- The Lord is my rock and my fortressand my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. 18:2
- But you are a shield around me, O LORD; you bestow glory on me and lift up my head. 3:3
As soon as we made the decision to cast our anxieties on Jesus and to stop being driven by our emotions, then we are able to see Him as our fortress. He is indeed near. He knows better than we do and our story of life is not a surprise for Him! If only we would fully commit our trust in Him, things would appear different to us.
Today girls, I encourage you to see Jesus as the ultimate place of rest. Your emotions and feelings ARE NOT TRUSTABLE. They are wavy and fragile; they are stubborn and suggestible. Jesus and His Word are the solution to confront them and win the battle of emotions; you can lean on God’s Word! His Word is unshakable, unchangeable and unremovable! Lean on Him while He calms your emotions. Trust Him as He is unshakable. Trust Him to handle the situation you are in, WHEREVER you are.
Rest is not some holy feeling that comes upon us in church. It is a state of calm rising from a heart deeply and firmly established in God ~Henry Drummond.
There Is More Co.™